HLTPAT005 - Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
Drug & Alcohol Collector Training
To work as a Collector of specimens for drug and alcohol testing, you need a detailed understanding of theory & practice. To book in your state, click in the map below:
Please note: Regardless of the training you are registering for, our training management system will require your date of birth, first name, last name and email for accounts to be set up securely whilst maintaining accessibility. Additional AVETMISS data will be collected and reported for Nationally Accredited trainings as per RTO Standards.
This course is designed for participants who are required to perform on-site drug and alcohol testing within their workplace or would like to work within the drug and alcohol testing industry as a Collector.
The AusHealth Work Drug & Alcohol Collector Training includes the nationally accredited unit of competency HLTPAT005 Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing. It provides participants the skills and knowledge required to perform specimen collection and screening for on-site drug and alcohol testing.
AusHealth Work is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 40379) and participants will benefit from years of drug and alcohol testing experience. This course provides in-depth instruction in the application and practice of:
- AS 3547:1997 Breath alcohol testing devices for personal use
- AS 4760:2006 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs in oral fluid
- AS/NZS 4308:2008 Procedures for specimen collection and the detection and quantitation of drugs of abuse in urine
This course satisfies the requirements for persons to collect, screen, handle, store and dispatch oral fluid and urine samples to the laboratory for analytical testing.
The course is conducted nationally by our team of expert and qualified trainers who have current industry experience in conducting drug and alcohol screening and hold the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAE40116).
On successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Explain minimum requirements necessary for performing breath, oral fluid and urine collections, and describe the procedure for ensuring the integrity of the specimen collection process.
- Demonstrate how to obtain a breath, oral fluid and urine specimen, follow the chain of custody and record the information on the chain of custody form.
- Demonstrate workplace proficiency in breath, oral fluid and urine specimen collection. For more information click here.
Here you can register for the one day training course (8 hours - coursework only) delivered throughout Australia at your workplace (subject to minimum number requirements) or you can attend one of our public courses by registering below. Following successful completion of the coursework you will need to complete a Workplace Observation which is independent of this one day Coursework Training. For more information about the Workplace Observation requirements, please click here.
A nationally recognised Statement of Attainment will be issued to competent participants. If the Workplace Observation is not complete, then a Statement of Attendance will be issued for successful completion of coursework. Competency is assessed through a combination of practical application and demonstration of skills, written assessments, case studies and role plays.
Please note that you are booking in for the one day training course (8 hours - coursework only) and you will need to complete a Workplace Observation independently of this one day Coursework Training to obtain your Statement of Attainment.